November 13, 1955
The first service is held in the Carmel Valley Community Center, where the fledgling parish meets and prospers for 10 years, in spite of having to set up and take down all of the ‘church’ things every Sunday, and to unplug the noisy Coke machine.
December 13, 1955
Bishop Block, Bishop of the Diocese of California, appoints the first Bishop’s Committee and gives the name “Saint Dunstan’s” to the new mission. This name was chosen because Dunstan was an illuminator, musician and silversmith-jewelry maker, and Carmel Valley is noted as a center for the arts. It will remain a mission under the auspices of the Bishop for 14 years until it is able to financially sustain itself. The Rev William Eastburn is appointed Vicar.
Three acres of the 1700 acre Holt Cattle Ranch (now the Carmel Valley Ranch Resort) are purchased for $3,000. A vicarage (clergy residence) on Palisades Drive is also purchased.
October 4, 1959
The Rev. Peter Farmer is appointed part-time Vicar, sharing his time with All Saint’s Day School until 1962 when he is appointed full time Headmaster and leaves St. Dunstan’s.
August 1, 1962
The Rev. James Brock is appointed Vicar of St. Dunstan’s sharing his time with another mission, St. Mattias’, in Seaside.
September 9, 1964
The Rt. Rev. James Pike, Bishop of the Diocese of California, dedicates the new church building , the first phase of construction.
November 3, 1965
The Rt. Rev. Richard Millard, Suffragan Bishop of California, dedicates the church school building, the second phase of construction.
This addition costs $12,294, for which a loan of $12,000 is obtained.
Construction begins on an on-campus vicarage at a cost of $27,691, and the old vicarage is sold for $28,000 cash.
February 21, 1969
St. Dunstan’s Mission, now financially able to sustain itself, becomes St. Dunstan’s Parish. And Fr. Brock’s title changes from Vicar (of a Mission) to Rector (of a Parish) and the vicarage becomes a rectory.
October 17, 1984
The 20 year building loan is paid in full, the mortgage burned and the church building and rectory are rededicated by The Right Reverend Shannon Mallory, first Bishop of the new Diocese of El Camino Real.
The parish begins its support of St. Andre’s School in Hinche, Haiti. It is a very fruitful relationship that continues to this day.
December 31, 1989
The Rev. James Brock retires and the Parish Hall is renamed Brock Hall in his honor.
January 1, 1991
The Rev. Craig Lister becomes the second rector of St. Dunstan’s
A Rectory on Robledo Road is purchased.
The Rectory on the church grounds, no longer used as a Rectory for the Priest, is remodeled to house the new St. Dunstan’s Preschool and renamed Weaver House in honor of Emily Weaver whose generosity funded the project.
The Rev. Donald Fuselier, Retired Carmel-By-The-Sea Police Chief, is assigned by the Bishop as St. Dunstan’s first permanent Deacon.
The Rev. Craig Lister is called to a parish in Massachusetts.
January 10, 1999
The Rev. C. Jeff Kraemer becomes the third Rector of St. Dunstan’s.
May 22, 2005
Current and former clergy are joined by Bishop Richard Millard, Suffragan Bishop when St. Dunstan’s was formed, at the 50th Anniversary Celebration at the Carmel Valley Community Center, where our story began.
The Rectory on Robledo Road is sold and a new Rectory on Virginia Way is purchased.
February 17, 2007
The 30′ tall Memorial Bell and Tower are consecrated and dedicated by Bishop Mary Gray-Reeves, Third Bishop of the Diocese of El Camino Real, as a memorial to Dorothy Clarke, Dorothy Roberts, and in loving memory of deceased members of the parish.
January 4, 2009
The Rev. C. Jeff Kraemer retires and the future education wing of St. Dunstan’s School is named the “Kraemer Wing” in his honor.
March 1, 2010
The Rev. Robert W. Fisher, becomes the fourth Rector of St. Dunstan’s.
The Rev. Donald Fuselier, St. Dunstan’s first Permanent Deacon since 1996, is re-assigned by the Bishop to Saint Marks, King City.
Opus 94, a tracker-style pipe organ custom built for St. Dunstan’s by Dobson Pipe Organ Builders in Lake City, Iowa, is installed in the newly renovated chancel.
Nearly a year being hand-built in Iowa, it took the builders five weeks to assemble Opus 94. It took another two months for the more than 1,000 pipes to be tuned and voiced.